8.The rest of the magazines________ within half an hour.
A. is sold out B. was sold out C. were sold out D. are sold out
9. You’d have more _____of catching the train if you took a bus to the station instead of walking.
A. opportunity B. chance C. time D. energy
10.The number of deer, mountain lions and wild roses________ much if people leave things________ they are.
A. doesn’t change; as B. aren’t changed; like C. don’t change; like D. don’t change; as
11. I knew I shouldn’t accept anything from such a person, but I found it difficult to turn down his _____.
A. offer B. suggestion C. request D. plan
12.________it is to gather with President Bush at such a special Thanksgiving Day in Iraq!
A. what a fun B. what fun C. how fun D. what joy
13. Oh., John________ you gave us!
A. How a great surprise B. how pleasant surprise
C. what a pleasant surprise D. what pleasant surprise
14 He is________ as a leader but he hasn’t________ in teaching.
A. success; many experiences B. a success; much experience
C. great success; an experience D. a great success; a lot of experiences
15 —Who did you spend last weekend with?
A. Palmer’s B. The Palmers’ C. The Palmers D. The Palmer’s
8. C。Most of / Half of / Part of / part of +名作主语,谓语与of后面的名词保持一致。本题中magazines是可数名词复数，故谓语动词用复数。
10. A。The number of + 名词复数，谓语常用单数；A. number of + 名词复数，谓语常用复数。
13. C。抽象名词有前置或后置修饰语时，前面用不定冠词，使之具体化; 如：A. happy life / a good education in that university / a wide knowledge of nature
14. B。表具有某种特性、状态、特点、情感、情緒的人和事;如：She is a success in cause but a failure in marriage.(成功者、失败者)
15. C。表示Palmer一家人，指一家人时常用the +姓氏的复数。