1. The commander said that two________ would be sent to the Iraqi front the next day.
A. women’s doctor B. women doctors C. women’s doctors D. women doctor
2. “Look! The police ________ here to keep order! Go away quickly,” one of them shouted.
A. is coming B. comes C. are coming D. has come
3. She could not speak English, but made her wishes known by means of _____.
A. signs B. sighs C. movements D. words
4. In my opinion, what he told us just now about the affair simply doesn’t make any _____.
A. idea B. meaning C. sense D. point
5. Shelly had prepared carefully for her English examination so that she could be sure of passing it on her first _____.
A. intention B. attempt C. purpose D. desire
6. ________ food is kept in his new cave, but at last Saddam was still arrested.
A. Large quantities of B. A great deal of C. A large number of D. Quite a few
7. –– Let’s try operating the machine right now.
––Wait. Better read the _____first.
A. instructions B. explanations C. information D. introduction
1. B。复合名词的复数中含有构词成分man / woman时，将变为men / women, 且所修饰的名词也要变成复数。
2. C。特殊类群体名词 police / cattle 做主语时，谓语动词用复数；“警察”个体用 policeman / policewoman；牛的个体用 a head of cattle。
3. A。signs指“手势”，还可用our expressions和gesture等body movements来表达思想。sigh意为“叹息”，words与前半句矛盾。
4. C。make sense是习语，意为“有道理”、“意义清楚”。
6. B。记住：a large / great / good quantity / amount of +复数名词或不可数名词，谓语动词用单数；large / great / good quantities / amounts of +复数名词或不可数名词，谓语动词用复数。