A boy walked along
“Boy!” the silence was cut by a sudden cry. He turned around quickly to see who had called.
An old woman was standing at her door.
“You boy! Come here this minute!”
Slowly the boy 1 onto the cold flat stones leading to the old woman’s house. When he arrived at her house, she 2 out her hand and wrapped her 3 old fingers around his arm.
“Help me inside, boy” she said. “Help me 4 to my bed. What’s your name?”
“Joseph,” he said.
The old woman on the bed tried to 5 up, raising herself on her elbow (肘). Water 6 from her eyes and mouth. The sight of her made Joseph feel 7 .
“I’m dying, Joseph. You can see that, can’t you? I want you to write a 8 for me. There’s paper and pencil on the table there.”
Joseph looked down at the 9 , and then looked out the window. He saw the sign again: “Coca-Cola. Drink Coca-Cola.”
“I want my silver pin to 10 to my daughter.”
Joseph bent his small body over the table and 11 the pencil slowly across the paper.
“There’s my Bible (圣经),” the old woman said. “That’s for my daughter, too. I want a 12 Christian burial (基督葬礼) with lots of singing. Write that down, too. That’s the last 13 of a poor old woman.”
The boy laboured over the paper. Again he looked out the window.
“Here. Bring it here so I can 14 it.”
Joseph found the Bible, and, 15 the paper inside, laid it next to the bed.
“ 16 me now, boy,” she sighed. “I’m tired.”
He ran out of the house.
A cold wind blew through the 17 window, but the old woman on the bed 18 nothing. She was dead. The paper in the Bible moved back and forth in the wind. 19 on the paper were some childish letters. They 20 the words: “Coca-Cola. Drink Coca-Cola.”
1. A. rushed B. struggled C. hurried D. stepped
2. A. reached B. let C. pushed D. pointed
3. A. firm B. smooth C. dry D. fresh
4. A. back B. over C. away D. ahead
5. A. sit B. get C. stand D. wake
6. A. rolled B. burnt C. burst D. ran
7. A. ill B. sick C. unpleasant D. funny
8. A. letter B. note C. will D. message
9. A. table B. pen C. paper D. woman
10. A. send B. go C. belong D. come
11. A. moved B. drew C. used D. pulled
12. A. great B. merry C. splendid D. real
13. a. hope B. chance C. opinion D. wish
14. A. sign B. read C. remember D. copy
15. A. setting B. hiding C. placing D. laying
16. A. Hold B. Leave C. Excuse D. Pardon
17. A. large B. open C. small D. pretty
18. A. did B. saw C. felt D. knew
19. A. Described B. Printed C. Recorded D. Written
20. A. formed B. spelled C. organized D. repeated